Tuesday 31 May 2011

A Week of Crafting

Hello
I hope you are all well and feeling totally chilled.
You will probably remember that yesterday I was telling you that my Bank Holiday had been a bit disappointing and that I hadn't actually done very much.
I got to thinking about this today and realised that even when I am not doing anything I am still doing something and that usually consists of a little thing called crafting.
My hobbies include knitting and sewing primarily with anything else that takes my fancy thrown in for good measure and this week has been no exception.
Here is one weeks work.  One back, two fronts and one and a half sleeves of a baby's cable cardigan, one and a half fronts of a white baby cardigan and a piece of applique which will eventually be made in to a shopping bag.  As you can imagine, I was quite surprised to see how productive I had actually been considering that I also work six days a week, full days not half ones.
I am especially pleased with the applique because as I explained I have never been brave enough to attempt it since my unhappy experience at school.
The two flowers and four leaves have all be fused to the backing material and then machine stitched in place following the very detailed instructions in my Elna Sewing Machine Guide.
Following my success I intend to do a lot more types of applique and can't wait to get back to my sewing class next week.  Watch this space for further details.
I must just let you know that the pink flower stained glass applique I started and showed you in Computers and Applique has had to be pulled out.  It was starting to look all lumpy and my intention was to fuse the flowers to keep them firm and flat.  I'm not sure now whether to re-tack them but to just do a lot more to ensure it remains in place.  I will have to put my thinking cap on or maybe I will wait and have a chat with my sewing teacher.  I'll keep you posted.  Pardon the pun.
Whilst writing I would just like to thank you all for taking the time to take a look at my blog.  My first target was to just have one person take a peak and the next was to get to one hundred page views.  The blog and now reached the heady total of one hundred and thirty five viewings which is beyond my wildest dreams.  However my next target is to receive a few comments from you very kind people.  I did receive one from Roger but since then nothing.  I suspect a lot of you are perhaps looking for other things when you find my site but for those regular visitors I would love to hear from you and promise to reply.  It is probably asking too much but if you don't ask you don't get.
Many thanks to you all and keep on visiting.  Lots of love, Paula x

1 comment:

  1. Hi again,
    As your only commenter (so far), I feel somewhat honoured. You're certainly a busy lady and I feel rather guilty at my idle life. I'm sure that many of your visitors are a bit overawed by your industry. You'll get more visitors and comments when more folk link to you on their blogs. I've been going about as long as you and have similar stats. Advertise: put your web address on your Saturday stall.

    I can't comment on the needlecraft aspect of your work although my grandmother was a seamstress with many "posh" clients around Sheffield up to the early 50s. I remember her boxes of beads, bugles(is that an appropriate word) and buttons and the heavy cloth she made dresses out of. She had a treadle operated sewing machine and over a dozen different irons, heated on the "range", for the different jobs. My mother was raised as a seamstress but hated it (kids!). She could still do everything but only under pressure.

    Have patience, readers & comments will come.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete