Monday 2 May 2011

Knitted Tidy Bag

At last I am pleased to present the knitted tidy bag pattern I promised you a while ago.  Note to myself, never promise something until you are sure you can deliver.  OK here goes.
You will need approximately 100gr of chunky wool and a pair of 4mm (size 8) knitting needles.
Cast on the required number of stitches to make the size of bag you would like.  I used 30 stitches for mine and suggest that you only go up to a maximum of 35 stitches.  The bigger the bag the less stable and more floppy it becomes.
Starting with a knit row continue in stocking
stitch i.e., one row knit, one row purl, until you have a square.  Cast off.
Knit four more squares in the same way.  At this point can I point out that you can use any stitch of your choice.  Garter stitch or plain knit on every row would look lovely.  It's your choice.  As you can see in picture two I have made the base square in garter stitch just for a change.  Once you have completed your squares sew four of them together to form a line, making sure that they all face the same way.  With the right side facing you pick up a number of stitches evenly along the top edge.  The number of stitches will depend on the size of your squares. Now knit a rib by knitting one stitch and then purling one stitch.  When the rib measures approximately two inches. Cast off.
Sew up the final seam and attach the base to form a square.  Turn down the cuff on the outside and stitch it in place.
Hey presto there you have it.
I hope the instructions are simple enough to understand but if you have any questions please contact me.
I now have several of these bags and keep my ribbons, threads and buttons in them.  They are so handy.
Happy knitting, Best Wishes Paula x



No comments:

Post a Comment