Tuesday 12 July 2011

And now for something completely different.

Good evening folks,
I am knitting like crazy at the moment trying to get together a few samples to display on my stall.  I have two or three yarns which don't exactly show them selves off particularly well when they are just sat in a basket and unless I actually show my public what they look like when knitted up, I fear that they will remain in their basket for a very long time.
Here is an example - I think this looks amazing as it is but when I first saw it I didn't know what on earth I was supposed to do with it.  It was only when a lady came to my stall with what she had made that I suddenly fell in love with it.  It is similar to a length of ribbon but with one edge which looks like a little ladder.  The idea is that you use this edge to knit each stitch using each gap as a separate stitch.  Firstly though you cast on using a standard yarn such as double knit.  This is the ball band so that if you spot some in your wool shop you will recognise it.
It isn't difficult to knit with once you get the hang of it.  The knit row is simple but the purl row is a little bit more tricky.
I stock three different colour ways, this one which is cream/brown.  I also have lilac/purple and bronze/grey.  I sell it at £8.50 a ball and one ball will make a handbag or a scarf or a cushion cover front.  The effect is quite stunning and very different from anything I have used before.  Each loop makes a kind of pleat which then turns in to a ruffle.
Here is a bag I am making and which at the moment looks a bit strange.
I wasn't sure what size needles to use as my pattern seemed to have forgotten to tell me.  I opted for 4mm or UK size 8's but I think I could have gone larger.  I won't really know for sure until it is sewn up.  That will be the exciting part.
Well I suppose I had better get back to it.  It's getting late and bedtime isn't far away thank goodness.
Enjoy the rest of your day.
Best Wishes Paula x

1 comment:

  1. Never seen anything like that before - what will they come up with next?

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete