Wednesday 24 April 2013

The Great British Sewing Bee

It was the final of The Great British Sewing Bee last night.
Has anyone else been watching this programme?  I have absolutely loved it although I believe many people haven't been that keen.


I must admit they have used a similar format to the British Bake Off but hey why not.  It works!
Each contestant had three challenges to perform each week.  One was to make an item of standard clothing, one was to alter/embelish an existing piece and the final challenge was to make a more difficult item such as an evening dress or a tailored jacket.  Each week one person was knocked out. 
The contestants were all lovely and so when it got down to the final three it was hard to pick a favourite.  I did however agree with the outcome as I felt that Anne with her seventy years of experience was a true sewer in every aspect.  Her handmade garments were to die for and I couldn't help but notice that she was wearing one or two beautifully knitted cardigans and scarves which have inspired me tremendously.
Needless to say I got out my fabric at the weekend and have already got a pencil skirt half made.  I really hope that the programme has inspired more people to have a go.
It was lovely at the end to find out what the contestants had been up to since the programme had ended.
It had obviously given them the confidence to get out there and do what they truly had a passion for.
Surely that in it's self is something to celebrate.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely loved the show and watched each episode twice.
    I loved all of the contestants but agree that Ann was the right choice for the overall winner.
    I'm happy to see they are already recruiting for a second series next year.
    Last year I made one top after a twenty year break from making wearable garments.
    I'm inspired all over again and have already made a top.
    I have plans for a dress next!

    Margaret

    ReplyDelete