Monday 26 March 2012

Harlow Carr, Harrogate

I thought it was about time I caught up with you all and for once I can report on a day out.  Now I don't get out much, well not for proper excursions that is so brace yourselves.
As it was the most beautiful bright sunny day yesterday we decided to set off for Harlow Carr.  This is a RHS garden and well worth a visit with lots of things to see and look at. 
We arrived mid-afternoon after visiting our local garden centre to stock up on Sweet Pea plants and Strawberry plants which we put in the garden before setting off. Oh and I had to cut Steve's hair too so it was a busy start to the day.

Betty's Tearoom - Harlow Carr
First things first. A quick lunch break at Betty's Tearoom. Oh yes this is an absolutely lovely place with everything tasty and expensive on offer. I had soup with a pumpkin seed bread roll, Steve had a chicken sandwich which consisted of two slices of brown bread (crusts removed). Yes that was it, no salad for colour, not a thing to dress it up (very disappointing) and two coffees. This cost us £15.60. Now I am not mean but if I had paid a fiver for this I would have felt ripped off.  I'm glad I've been to Betty's because it was very nice to sit in such a nice restaurant but really, I'm sorry to say I won't be rushing back.
Moving on -
We wandered down pretty paths taking in the garden ornaments as we went along.
The Summer House
There were animals to pet, including goats, rabbits and guinea pigs.  There were even Alpacas who had given up their wool just so that I could buy a bag of roving to spin using my spindle.
Alpacas
Now wasn't that kind of them?

The Alpine House is well worth a visit too.  All the tiny plants are in their own terracotta pots which are then set into gravel on stone built shelves.  Steve was so impressed I bought him a book on the subject so he can have a go at home.
Alpines at Harlow Carr
Well that's all I have time for right now.  I'll show you more very soon.
Have a great day x

No comments:

Post a Comment