Thursday 20 October 2011

Courgette Walnut Bread

Good morning and how are you all? It seems to be getting longer between blogs at the moment and no one is more sorry than me for that. I am trying to get all my stock on to a spread sheet in order to do a stock take.  I should have my tax forms in by the 31st October so it's all systems go.  If I miss the deadline I then have to do the form on-line and as my computer skills are extremely limited, that is a risk I would rather not take.
I have also decided to take my insurance exams which means that I will be able to put Cert CII after my name.  I work for an Insurance Brokers full time in addition to my wool stall and thought it was about time I got a qualification.  I have worked in insurance for thirty two years so maybe I should have something to show for all my efforts.  Anyway enough about me.  Here is the long awaited recipe for Courgette Walnut Bread.  The recipe was collected on a trip to Clumber Park which is near Retford.  We went to a tasting day in the walled garden and they had made this cake for us to try.  It is very moist and so tasty.

8oz whole wheat flour (I use white self raising)
2tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp salt
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1tsp all spice
half tsp of baking powder
12 oz sugar
half a pint of vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 tblsp vanilla extract
grated zest of 1 lemon
2 courgettes coarsely grated (no need to peel)
large handful of toasted chopped walnuts or similar nuts

Preheat the oven to 165cc gas mark 3
Butter and flour 2 loaf tins.
Stir the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, all spice and soda in bowl.  In a separate bowl whisk together the sugar, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract and lemon peel.  Add the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Add the courgettes and nuts and stir gently.  Pour the mixture in to the two tins and bake in the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until cooked.  The cake can brown quite easily so have a piece of baking parchment ready to place over the top of the cake if it starts to look as if it might burn.
Let it stand for 10 minutes before turning it out on to a rack to cool completely.
The loaf can be iced, buttered or just eaten as it is.

I hope you enjoy this as much as we do.  Bye for now Paula x

No comments:

Post a Comment