Sunday 13 November 2011

The Ashby Canal - Act 2


Snarestone Tunnel

A Family of Geese
I thought I'd show you a few more photographs taken whilst we were on the Ashby Canal.
The Snarestone Tunnel is almost at the end of the Ashby and does take a bit of nerve when you enter it for the first time.  You have to check that there isn't anyone coming in the opposite direction before you begin the long journey as only one boat can go through at any time.  I have taken the boat through myself just the once and it takes a while to get used to it but it was fine.  Steve on the other hand has done it loads of times.
There's a little hut just before the brand new bit of the canal where a man and his four dogs man a tiny shop.  The proceeds go towards the Ashby Canal Restoration Fund and so far they have been able to continue the canal by about another one hundred yards.  It looks great and once it grows into it's surroundings it will be even better.
Whilst on the boat I had lots of time to reflect and do lots of the things I like doing the most.  In particular knitting, sewing and things that I don't always have the time to do when I'm at home like trying brand new crafts.  Here are a couple things I did whilst away:


Napkin Decoupage Box

Napkin decoupage is one of my favourite pastimes but it is a bit fiddly and time consuming but really worth while as it produces such pretty results and no one would guess that the effect comes from a paper serviette.  Kirstie Allsop did something similar on her latest series but she made a paper seagull which she covered with Decopatch.  I use their glue sometimes or actual napkin glue which is better but not as glossy.  I will need to varnish the box to seal it and make it waterproof.
Bye Paula x

No comments:

Post a Comment