Monday 24 September 2012

I'm No Mary Berry

I absolutely love to bake but when I get the urge I never have enough of the right ingredients.
After catching the last half hour of a new cake making series yesterday on ITV +1 I decided to have a baking session but to my horror only had 1 egg and about 2oz of icing sugar.
I suddenly remembered a recipe my Mum always used when I was little.  I expect in those days she wouldn't have always had the money to spend on luxeries so possibly this recipe was born out of necessity.
1,2,3,4, Cupcake Recipe (or bun recipe if you prefer)

1 egg
2oz margirine or butter (softened)
3oz sugar
4oz self raising flour with a pinch of baking powder

Cream the butter and sugar together for a couple of minutes then whisk in the beaten egg. Finally fold in the sieved flour and baking powder.  The mixture can be a bit dry so add a little milk to loosen it up.  Spoon into bun cases and cook in the oven on gas mark 4 for about 10 minutes.


I used shop bought fondant icing for the decorations.  The roses and leaves are handmade, the butterfly is a cutter I bought and never used and the flowers are made by using silicon moulds from Blossom Art.  The small one is hydranga and the larger is pertunia. I saw these demonstrated at the NEC Birmingham earlier this year.  You can sometimes pick them up at TK Max. I did a blog about them at the time if you care to look back.
Well that's all for now.  Happy baking.  Let me know how you got on with the recipe.  It is pretty basic but I didn't hear any complaints from the Cake Monster who was on hand to sample the finished product.




No comments:

Post a Comment