Tuesday 27 June 2023

Hawkshead and Brantwood

 Yesterday was another busy day and by the time we got back I was ready to relax and read my book, hence no blogging.

Steve suggested we drive out to Hawkshead for a coffee stop and I am always up for coffee and cake so off we popped.






We stumbled across the Vegetarian Cafe which was beautiful and so me. I love a Cath Kidston vibe and this ticked all the boxes. It was just a pity that the staff were rather indifferent and pretty much ignored their customers. Steve tried to have a joke about the music which happened to be White Christmas but his words fell on deaf ears and smacked of sheer ignorance. It was a real shame but as I sat people watching it was obvious that it wasn't just us that received the cold shoulder.

The village itself didn't have much to offer however we had a stroll around the church yard which was so peaceful and had boards showing all the nature that had established itself there.




This was a wild flower called fox and cub which I've neither seen or heard of before.

Next stop was a privately owned property called Brantwood which had been the home of John Ruskin who was famous for being perhaps the first person to show concern about the environment. He laid the foundations for many of the things that are still relevant today including free education for all, free access to museums and libraries, the protection and conservation of ancient buildings, access to open spaces, the National Trust, and the welfare state. Quite a legacy.







The house felt so comfortable and the staff were charming. There was lots to see and learn and the garden was spectacular. The admission charge was £14.00 each however that is an annual fee and we can return as many times as we like. There is also a terrace restaurant serving very nice food. It was busy when we arrived and they were having technical difficulties with the ordering system but I'm sure usually they're very efficient.



You can even arrive from the other side of lake Coniston by boat.



When we got back I decided to paint a scene I photographed from the gardens as a souvenir of our visit.


I struggle with landscapes but I was quite pleased with this and might even frame it when we get home.


No comments:

Post a Comment